Topband: ARRL 160 conditions

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Dec 4 11:47:44 PST 2011

> I was going to ask Wayne off-list about that statement. The more I have
> learned the more I realize I don't know. My guess was that he might know
> or observe something that others of us have missed somehow. Now that the
> question is on the list...I would like to know, too. Why would we want
> to transmit anywhere at all other than where the calling station is
> listening? I think split operation is for DX pileups...not contests.
> Maybe that's my error.

Hi Bill,

I stand corrected. Evidently they were talking about 50-75 Hz to
avoid being EXACTLY zero beat with other callers. That much can be
useful. 100+ gets into a gray area, over 200 is usually going to be
trouble in ARRL 160, IMO. At 100 Hz up or down I will have to tune
to hear a caller, but at least I have some chance of pulling him out
from under my adjacent running station.

I've just received a private email from a west coast contester who
says it is a different world out there, wide open spaces on the
band. That is enlightening. I wish it were that way here.

I got an email from a perturbed contester one year asking why I did
not answer him. He needed Maine for WAS. I said I never heard him
but I would be happy to sked him. On the sked I found him 400 Hz
above my frequency. I have no idea if he had been that far off
during the contest, but if he was I can tell you why I didn't hear
him. There was another contester running 250 Hz up and he was well
over S9. Why would I look for people calling me above the adjacent
guy's pile?

By the way I don't run a skimmer but I believe I am able to get
within 10 to 20 Hz of the stations I call. If anyone has evidence to
the contrary, PLEASE let me know as it means something is wrong here
and needs to be corrected.

OK, more than enough out of me on this subject.

73,
Paul N1BUG