Topband: My take on ARRL 160

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 5 12:28:33 PST 2011

It's pretty much demonstrated that there are a lot of people who are
"tone deaf", that is, they simply cannot tell apart two tones of
different frequencies if they are "somewhat" near to one another.
This is an audible approximation of color blind.  Since this does not
produce a problem in day-to-day living, other than singing hymns off
key on Sunday morning, it goes largely unreported.  Given the
oft-reported well-off-frequency calling, it might be a lot more common
than we think.

Back in the day when my hearing was acute and included well beyond the
TV horizontal sweep frequency, I could be singing up front in the
choir on Sunday and hear ALL those in the congregation singing off
key. They stuck out because they were NOT on the shared tone being
sung from the hymnal (this suggest anything?).  There had to be a
dozen, including a favorite dear old gentleman (very popular with the
youth) who also never had the timing quite right, and further sounded
like he was singing with gravel in his mouth.  I'm sure he thought he
was singing on key and on time.  Nobody cared.  "Make a joyful
noise..." and all that.

I think there are a lot of people tone-disadvantaged to some degree or
another.  Their off-frequency is neither careless nor unthoughtful.
Funny how we manage to work them all.....

73, Guy