Topband: An observation about Topband contesting technique

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 11:27:56 PST 2011

I'm also sure that you cannot equate signal strength between stations in
the same general vicinity.  I've heard and worked stations that others in
the area couldn't, and vice-versa.  Not an unusual phenomenon at all.   I
listened to a couple big guns in the area during ARRL160, and they  sometimes
struggled to copy stations that were solid Q5 here.

Just part of the "Magic".

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 12/6/2011 9:06:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
tshoppa at wmata.com writes:

>  These stations aren't crocodiles - many are in the
> super station  category and definitely have the "ears" to hear me. This
> seems to be a  matter of operating technique, not technology.
> [...]
> Last  night I worked 19 of the 26 stations I called on the east coast. The
>  others should have been hearing me just as well. I seriously doubt it
was
> their ears were the problem as they were all big  stations.

Just a heads up on what was going on, on this side of the  pond:

Conditions from East Coast US (Maryland) to West Coast US were  very
unoptimal.

Those west coast multipliers are very valuable and  there's a bunch of them
that were a struggle to get from the east  coast.

I am sure many of the big guns who were calling but didn't hear  you, had
their receive antenna pointed towards the West Coast of the  US.

I know for example that I tried to work N8OO on multiple occasions  but he
couldn't hear me at all. I'm quite certain (from the stations he was
working) he had a very effective receive antenna pointed squarely towards
California.

Tim N3QE  Maryland