Topband: K2AV 160m Folded Counterpoise Antenna - New Details Posted

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu Dec 8 19:34:11 PST 2011

>sense.  It is well known that window line is >lossy when wet.

I am curious if anyone has actually measured this over a range of frequencies. Afaik, the "it's lossy when wet" is based on a model that I've seen some say overstates the loss for a wet window line.

>  I am feeding my vertical
>using 850 feet of open wire line with XHHW >insulation (whatever
>that is made out of).

XHHW uses cross-linked polyethylene insulation. It is very tough (it's used on triplex-type power lines), and I would expect it to have essentially the same electrical properties as "regular" polyethylene wire since it's very nearly the same chemical composition.

>  It would be interesting to measure the
>loss on a rainy day and see how much it >increased.
>Rick N6RK

You could probably do a more controlled test just wetting the lines with a garden hose :-)

-Bill

[Sent using Blackberry Messaging]