Topband: QRP Question

W0UCE w0uce at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 09:51:21 PST 2011

Interesting points Herb.  I hope Political Correctness never becomes a
requirement to operate on Top Band; rather it remain the Gentleman's Band
the way it should be.

See you in Stew this coming weekend.
73

Jack,

The great thing about chasing DX on TB is that soon one chooses to
eschew superfluous or confusing  transmission of CW characters because
they hinder.  I am glad you brought this issue up and  I believe the
reason in some cases with QRPers could be that the flea power insecurity
syndrome abounds and needs to be mollified.

Most experienced seasoned QRPers would never use the /QRP appendage but
rather would personally cherish the contact they made with 5 watts or
less.  No need to explain away anything.  There is also perhaps a
feeling that a weak signal must be explained away so the QRP'er is held
blameless for not having what it takes to be "adequate,"  or "I am
impotent because I choose not to be potent."

In the past days of amateur radio S1 or S2 was categorized as weak.
(On160 with DX who cares in you can work them?) However, using the term
"weak" is considered today to lack political correctness and unkind.
Today the term hams use to describe a weak signal is "You are light with
me".

Another constant irking remarks extant is the use of "Roger" in place of
"over" or "go ahead".  To which I always remark..."my name is Herb, not
Roger....... Roger?

The whole thing is now  turned upside down and some insist we no longer
refer to each others as top-banders but instead we are instead
'low-banders'.

73,

Herb KV4FZ