Topband: QRP Question

Don Kirk wd8dsb at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 11:57:49 PST 2011

Let me play the devils advocate and put a spin on why you might want to sign /qrp when calling CQ.

1)  If I work you and you sign /qrp, then I will send you a QSL card that says K9JWV/qrp (or whatever your call might be), but if you don't say you are qrp, then you will get a card that says K9JWV and no mention that I am confirming you worked me while you were running qrp.

2)  You also might want to sign /qrp when calling CQ if you are trying to attract other qrp operators.  If I hear someone sign /qrp when they call CQ, I often fire up my QRP rig since I suspect they will be able to hear me just as well as I am hearing them.

Don (wd8dsb)