Topband: QRP Question

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 12 12:37:42 PST 2011

What I want to put out about signing /QRP in a contest....

First, I ALREADY know you are weak and I'm going to have to work hard to
get you in the log. I WANT to work weak QRPers because there is a good
chance I can make that contact and others will not.  This makes for
vertical separation in the contest score listings  :>)   But this is also
true for wretched signal 100w stations who done something amazing to get up
an antenna AT ALL in their situation.  QRPers have no mojo advantage over
someone who gets up a working 160 antenna in a 75'x75' HOA lot.  Nod goes
to the HOA guy here.

Second, some QRPers obviously have very good antennas and are 579....WAY
out in the clear. They send their call and exchange exactly once like
they're QRO, and we have each other's call in each other's log in ten
seconds.  It's really not the power, it's the antennas, and the operators.

Third, and most important, if I am struggling to get your call out of the
noise, /QRP down in the muddle confuses the h**l out of me and may be THE
ONE reason why I'm not copying your call.

Fourth, and most irritating, I long ago lost count of the number of times
that /QRP was the **ONLY** thing I was sure of when I finally gave up and
said SRI TRY LATER.  At least the postage stamp lot guys running 100w to a
super-fold antenna are not tempted to send /HOA

/QRP = Terrible, Terrible practice.

QRPers, I'm begging you, please tell your QRP friends....

73, Guy