Topband: QRP Question

Keith Jillings (G3OIT) g3oit.keith at jillings.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 01:58:08 PST 2011

On 13/12/2011 05:32, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Really?
>
> FCC rules:
>
> (c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each
> indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or
> by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is
> self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and
> after, the call sign.*No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any
> other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned
> to another country.*
>
> *M              England (M3xxx and M6xxx - Foundation Class Licence,
>                           All others - Full Licence Grade)                   14  27*

If I understood right, the "I'm in another country" bit goes in front
over here, so a US amateur visiting the UK would be M/W1BB and if
operating mobile, would be M/W1BB/M.

When I drive in Germany, I'm DL/G3OIT/M.

I recall that when I operated in the USA, I was told to use G3OIT/W8 so
maybe the US puts the visitor flag in a different place.

Certainly, if I heard W1BB/M I would think he was in his car in the USA,
not in the UK.

I agree, though, that it's pointless to sign /QRP.  I suppose the next
step would be for those with a good linear to sign /QRO_BUT_LOUSY_ANTENNA

We used to have /A (alternative location) but that was dropped and we're
told to use /P (even if the kit isn't portable).

There is also /AM but the authorities here aren't keen to issue permits
for that - I tried once:  the requirements were impossible to meet.

We do still have /M and /MM with various restrictions applying.

73 and Good Yule,

Keith
G3OIT