Topband: BCI

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Tue Dec 13 15:01:31 PST 2011

Hello Scott:

Lots of things can cause your receiver to hear the third harmonic of an AM
broadcast station. One of many reasons - could be the broadcast station -
but is the most unlikely source of this issue.

You commented you moved your Beverage antenna, you also added a protector
and now you are hearing the 3rd harmonic of WTVN. Do you also hear it on
your TX antenna? Do other nearby hams hear it as well?

Many front end protectors use back to back diodes to limit the RF level
delivered to the recover. These back to back diode protectors are notorious
for being saturated and could be the cause of your harmonic problem in the
160 meter band.

Try a test listening without your protector and see what happens.

73,
Tim K3LR