Topband: Crazy RX antenna Question

Charles Bibb zedkay at telepak.net
Thu Dec 15 08:39:31 PST 2011

At 09:34 AM 12/15/2011, Steven Raas wrote:

>I live in a big city and all their CATV feed is above ground..behind my
>home running the length of my block ( well over 1000' ) and at about a
>height of 13' is the CATV feed, here goes the crazy question...
>Has any one ever tried to use the SHIELD of their CATV house drop.. for a
>VERY long RX antenna?

I actually tried this at a former QTH.

The short answer is that it didn't work well.  The main reason is
that your RX will be OVERWHELMED by TV birdies and many other kinds
of CRUD propagating along that line.

If you situation is anything like mine was, (and I suspect it will be
worse as I lived in a small town), you will see (hear) similar
results. When I tried it, all TV's were still analog, so I got very
strong horizontal sweep harmonics every 15.9 khz or so all along the
band. I don't know what you'll hear now that TV systems have gone
digital.  Maybe better, maybe worse.

One thing you should do, however, is NOT attach your RX directly to
the cable.  Tap on to it through a 2000pf or larger capacitor so as
to block any induced LF AC or DC voltage present on the line.

Good luck,

73,
Charles - K5ZK