Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 4 13:22:50 PST 2011

N7RT wrote:

John,
If it had not been for the window I could not have worked what I have on
160. I would say it had gotten me at least a dozen new ones. One year I
remember giving ON4UN Zone 3 in the window.
I wish you could walk in my shoes once and do a 160 contest from out here.
It might enlighten you.

         I've walked in your shoes (as W0ZV).  From 1985-93 I won CQ
160 CW SOHP Zone 4 USA every year I entered from Colorado, including
several Top 10 finishes.  I agreed with W2GD's opinion then and still do.
It was a very good move to eliminate it from all CQ Contests but there
are still some QRG Police making intentional QRM trying to enforce a
rule which does not exist and has not existed for several years.

http://lists.contesting.com/_topband/2009-01/msg00152.html

         For a good discussion of the window issue and why it doesn't
make sense, read ON4UN's 5th edition (paragraph 5.5 on page 2-13).

         Food for thought...why do some want a window for EU but not
for JA/HL (i.e. 1810-25)?  There's a message there somewhere. ;-)

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV