Topband: using 2 wire beverage transformer for 1 wire beverage

Zivney, Terry L. 00tlzivney at bsu.edu
Sat Feb 5 09:05:06 PST 2011

Last week the weathermen predicted a major ice storm, so to minimize potential damage to
my station, I lowered the ropes holding my 160m vertical wires and removed the tension at
the ends of my KD9SV two wire beverages, letting all of this rest on the brush.

Now, these wires are buried under more than two inches of ice, and several inches of snow
on top of the ice are going to hinder thawing for quite a while.

In order to erect a couple of temporary beverage antennas, I want to use the old standby
14 gauge THHN house wire.  I'd like to use the existing KD9SV two wire beverage
transformers, because they are connected to the coaxes (also buried under ice and
snow) that run to the remote relay box.

I know that the remote end box of the KD9SV unit does not have a termination,
that being provided by the feed end box connection to the remote switch with its
bank of 75 ohm resistors on the unselected feedlines.

Question:  Can I simply attach a 470 ohm resistor between the far end of the single wire
beverage and the ground rod, and then connect the feed end of the wire to one of
the two antenna wire binding posts of the KD9SV box (leaving the other one empty)
and expect reasonable performance?  I want to minimize the effort on this "temporary"
problem.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9