Topband: Oldies on 1.870 AM radio

Jim Sorenson kjsorenson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:33:44 PST 2011

I was aligning an NC-300 tonight when what I first thought was a broadcast
image came through quite strong on 1.870 and remained steady between about
0400 and 0515 GMT. It was playing a string of oldies from the 50s mostly and
did not identify. There were no commercials or announcements, just a short
pause after about 10 songs - perhaps to change a reel. It was quite pleasant
really, but that's because I was not on the air tonight. Had my rotatable
flag not gotten blown out of its base by last night's storm I probably could
have peaked this pirate in some general direction. I know it was not a
broadcast harmonic because it also came through loud and clear on my Harris
RF-590 which has a brick wall BC filter ahead of it. No QSB, Q5 copy up to
10 over. FYI - I'm about 25 miles NNE of Pittsburgh in Butler County, PA.

Rather odd, really. If anybody else heard it or hears it in the future,
please let me know.

Jim
W3BH