Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:38:27 PST 2011

Hello all

I have a Software Defined Receiver (SDR) that I make available when I am
not using it for others to use. it's an SDR-14 and is usually connected
to one of my beverages via a multi-coupler so it hears and performs well
Software wise , anyone using sdrradio can connect to it.
the latency is alos very low with sdrradio.

I am happy to make this available to others because in turn I enjoy
using internet connected SDR's provided by others

last night however I took a listen to what the connected user was
listening to, It turns out that the connected user was a DX station
utilising my SDR to work 160m SSB. He had a pileup of EU stations and
was utilising my SDR to better hear his pileup.
Surely this is 'not on' After all the EU stations may have been able to
hear him (although I could not copy him better than about 21 here)
But he was using a receiver within Europe to hear the EU stations calling.

What is the ethical position on this, it sure seems wrong to me

Brendan EI6IZ