Topband: RX Antenna

DAVID CUTHBERT telegrapher9 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:25:14 PST 2011

I'm right in the middle of the search for a receive antenna. I tried an
MFJ-1025 noise canceler and it works quite well to null out the one dominant
local noise source that comes on from time to time. But it does nothing for
the other noise sources. I then tried a short loaded dipole with a good 1:1
current balun to see if the noise was vertically polarized. No improvement.
I then (last week) built a 5 x 8 ft rotating terminated loop with a 9:1
balun. A Radio Shack rotator turns it. Not enough signal and so today I
ordered a DX Engineering preamp. So far I'm into this receive antenna
adventure to the tune of $800 and I'm determined to get something that does
the job.

   Dave WX7G