Topband: water saturated ground effect

BRYON PAUL n0ah VEAL bryonveal at msn.com
Mon Jul 18 17:31:55 PDT 2011

On my Cushcraft MA160V, the resonant SWR point has lowered from almost 5:1  to 1:1 without the Amidon unUn in line.  All 26 of the buried radials are attached.  The main difference is that the normally dry ground is saturated from 6 inches of rain in the past two weeks.  Can the water saturated soil really make this much of a difference?  The last time this antenna showed this good of an SWR, was when I had no radials attached, in dry dirt, as expected-  Of course attaching radials only began to show the true impedance mismatch, thus the need for the Amidon UnUn to match the coax to the antenna- Bottom line, the antenna is acting like I disconnected the radials, which are very much intact- My guess is that as the soil drys out, my SWR at sresonance will once again rise, and i will need the UnUn again for matching reasons- does this sound right>?

73  Paul  N0AH