Topband: T30RH & Pile-Up Decorum

Gary Hinson Gary at isect.com
Wed Mar 16 13:08:03 PDT 2011

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Steve.  The key factor is the DX
operator's pileup management and general operating techniques, things such
as:
- Being careful where they dump or move their pileup
- Giving their own call frequently, and indicating where to transmit
- Being *stubbornly persistent* with partials, refusing to move on until
worked, and refusing to acknowledge or work the rude alligators
- Being consistent in messages and timing, synchronising gracefully with the
pileup
- Being efficient, so all in the pile know they have a reasonable chance
- Working second and third tier stations, not just the big guns
- Taking advantage of 'windows of opportunity' to work real DX
- Listening on their TX frequency and responding to QRM there
- Slowing down occasionally to give information, including "Please don't
call out of turn - I won't work you" or similar
- Being confident, loud and clear enough to stay in charge
- Publishing their QSL info etc. on QRZ.com
- Running an online log if poss
- Being an ambassador for amateur radio, promoting best practices and always
being cool, calm, polite and basically staying in control (or QSY or QRT!).

On top of that, some so-called DXers clearly need educating on what the DX
community considers responsible and acceptable versus selfish and
unacceptable behaviour.  I won't go into that now but we have tried to
promote and share good DX practices through the DX Code of Conduct
http://www.dx-code.org/

It's frustrating when people complain about bad operating but say 'There's
nothing we can do about it'.  Aside from cleaning up our own acts (and I for
one am always learning and trying to improve), everyone can help spread good
practices, for example mentioning the DX code on your QRZ page or ham
websites, or by all means creating your own personalised versions like I
have.  Also writing about the DX code in the ham press ... and ham
reflectors!

\Rant

73
Gary  ZL2iFB   www.G4iFB.com

PS  Talking of working-by-numbers, hearing the DX say "Too many callers -
please call one at a time" surely takes the biscuit!