Topband: 160m U shaped open loop

Jim - WS6X ws6x at comcast.net
Thu Mar 31 17:24:27 PDT 2011

   4. 160m U shaped open loop (vk3pa at vk3pa.com)
   Message: 4
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:35:58 -0500
From: vk3pa at vk3pa.com
Subject: Topband: 160m U shaped open loop
To: topband at contesting.com

Has  anyone tryed a open loop U shaped rx antenna for TB
We have no where to put in a RX antenna "but" the house block has 3
fence lines, 2 sides 160 ft long es the back fence 60ft wide.
my idea is to run a wire around the fence line es feed it in the
center of the rear run.
how do I feed the center? its for rx on TB only!!

===
I have used this configuration for several years. I call it my "Low U-pole."
It is a center-fed dipole with the legs bent into a U, mounted 5 feet above
the ground. The feedpoint is centered along the southern property line (120
ft wide). At the two south corners the legs are bent to the north.

I also have a rotating flag, and have used the 2-element K9AY system. As to
be expected, the U-pole is noisier than the other RX antennas, but there are
enough times in a season when used as one RX input with the K3 in diversity
mode, or as a "noise" antenna feeding the Quantum Phaser, that the
improvement in over-all RX justifies the few minutes it take to string it up
each fall. There are moments each season when the U-pole hears better than
anything else in the sandbox.

I feed the U-pole with a choke balun.

GL,

Jim, WS6X