Topband: Pixel Technologies Magnetic RX Loop

Andy Ikin andrew.ikin at btopenworld.com
Mon May 9 13:31:37 PDT 2011

Pete W2PM wrote on the 9th May,

"I notice they repeat the incorrect assertion that these magnetic loops work
by being sensitive to the "magnetic field" rather than the electric field
and that has been long shown to be false - these antennas are not sensitive
to the magnetic field at all but very close proximity to the sources."

Pete,

If what you say above is true; then how does one explain that I can achieve
up to a 30dB reduction in local noise pick-up with a Wellbrook ALA1530 loop
antenna compared to a Datong AD370 Active Dipole ( E -Field ) when the two
antennas are a few metres away from 11kV powerlines. Both active antennas
have a similar Antenna Factor to signals in the far field. Also if I use a
Mobius loop with a similar gain as the ALA1530, I get the same noise
reduction. Note: both loops were positioned not to null the noise.

If the loops were sensitive to the electic field then there would little
difference in the noise reduction campared to the Active Dipole!

73

Andrew  G8LUG