Topband: RG6 coax questions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 11 09:06:01 PDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 7:58 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> What I now advise specifically any time one asks, after a couple
> decades of poor experience with "RG6" types, is

I'd like to reinforce Guy's comments, especially with respect to
matching connectors and cable.  About seven years ago, I spent about
$100 on a  bunch of very high quality Snap N Seal connectors in an
assortment of sizes to fit four different RG59 and RG6 cables. I also
bought a 1,000 ft spool of very good quality Commscope cable (but not
the flooded type).  Seven years and four different cable types later,
I've found only one match between cable and connector. For the other
cases, the connectors either can't be put onto the cable at all, or fall
off once they are crimped (with the proper tool).

I wasn't playing cheap, but it still didn't work well for me.  As Guy
notes, some of these cable runs can be quite difficult (mine are), and
as I get older, I don't look forward to replacing them.

73, Jim K9YC