Topband: TDR and beverages

Gerry Treas, K8GT k8gt at mi.rr.com
Sun May 15 15:16:57 PDT 2011

>---- Tree <tree at kkn.net> wrote:

>=============
>I have been lusting after a TDR and finally created one by building up one
>of the simple circuits you see on the internet and hooking it up to my
>scope.

Hi Tree,

Yes, I remember my WOW moment in the very early 70's, working the midnight UHF TX maintnance shift with W8KOX (SK) at WKBD-TV50, Detroit.  Tom showed me the TDR that he built using a 12AU7 and we used it with a TEK714 (IIRC), the one with 6 or 8 paralleled metal 6AG7's as the vertical deflection amp.  We used it to check all the joints, every 20ft, of our 6" and 8" 1100ft coax lines up the tower, from ground level inside the building. It worked quite well, then replaced it with a solid state version before we became successful and had a budget to buy a commercial one.

That was an eye opener.

Oh, and that TEK465 is still an excellent scope.

I'm still (43 years) at WKBD-TV (DT) affiliated with the CW network.  Gee, I always wanted to run CW on a TV TX, like the analog 120KW rig we had, before the DTV changeover.  :-)

73, Gerry, K8GT