Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested

Jeff Woods jmwooods at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 06:28:15 PST 2011

One cautionary note on using window line for beverages:

I tried window line last year, unsuccessfully, for a 2-wire bi-directional beverage.  While the electrical performance was satisfactory, the increased wind load area of the ladder line made it impossible to keep operational.  Initially, it broke free from the termination and feed points.  After several rounds of improvements on the connections, eventually the line itself broke.  This was the good stuff, too - heavier gauge stranded wire.

I'm out in the open plains of Iowa where the winds are strong and steady and the ice/snow load adds to the problem.  My normal beverages using 17 ga. aluminum electric fence wire occasionally break, but it's infrequent enough to be tolerable.  The window line beverage needed to be repaired nearly every week until it was decommissioned for good.  In a more benign environment this type of construction can work.

73,
Jeff - W0ODS