Topband: contesting in a field

James Rodenkirch rodenkirch_llc at msn.com
Wed Nov 16 04:50:03 PST 2011

With the caveat that I am not any kind of SME on 160 meter antennas, I would
be surprised that you'd need much of a counterpoise for an End Fed Half
Wave antenna.

My experiences with an End Fed Half Wave antenna show that a small (small as in length of a singular wire) counterpoise is all that's required.  Assuming the physics for an 80 meter or 40 meter EFHW antenna carries over to 160 meters I don't see the need for anything of length or numbers - for my 80 and 40 meter EFHW antennas I use about 3 feet of counterpoise....I've lengthened that wire up to a 1/4 wave and have noticed zero improvement in SWR or received signal strength at several RBNs.

72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV