Topband: Flag/Pennant Question

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Tue Nov 29 08:01:54 PST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:49:40 -0500
  W2PM <w2pm at aol.com> wrote:
> Why would you do that?
>
> >> I'm wondering if anyone has ever built or modeled a
>>multi-turn flag or pennant antenna. I'm thinking maybe an
>>odd number of turns with the resistor in the middle of
>>the middle turn.
>> --Art Delibert, KB3FJO

Art,

I have tried it (what the heck, why not?). Using a 2m x 2m
loop, 1m above average ground: The F/B (better than 25 dB)
and RDF (7.8 dB) are the same as a single turn loop. Gain
is higher by 2 dB (-46 dBi). Needs three separate loads,
one on each of the back-side vertical wires. This antenna
would be hard to match due to high and highly reactive
feed point impedance. I believe it is not worth the
trouble for the small increase in gain.

Cheers,

George, AA7JV