Topband: Inverted L

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:48:22 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Peter Voelpel <df3kv at t-online.de> wrote:

> Be careful with cheap tv cable. Some are just steel wire with a very thin
> copper layer ... on 160m you might run into too high losses.

Very true. But the 1000' rolls of Commscope RG-6 I bought cheaply off of
eBay had a sufficiently thick coating of copper.

CATV-type Commscope brand quad aluminum shield RG-6 is all I use here to
feed my antennas. The copper coating on the steel-cored center conductor is
thick enough to use even below 160 meters. At 1 MHz, it has just .25 to .38
dB/100 ft loss.

Here's the full specs for two types:
http://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/uniprise/product_details.aspx?id=25253
http://awapps.commscope.com/catalog/uniprise/product_details.aspx?id=34310

What is more, it has the same low loss and similar power handling
capabilities as RG-213/U. http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/

Why spend big bucks on name-brand copper coax?

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com