Topband: PL 259 for RG6

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Oct 9 11:24:16 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: PL 259 for RG6

> On 10/7/2011 9:28 PM, Bob Kupps wrote:
>> Would crimp-on PL259 plugs sized for RG59 cable be suitable or is there a
>> better way to go?
>
> There's RG6, and there's RG6, and there's RG6. In other words, there are
> dozens of very different cables called RG6. RG6 is not a spec, it is a
> VERY generic description.  First, you should be using ONLY coax with a
> heavy copper braid shield for transmitting on the HF and MF bands.

Thats hilarious, many hams have been crimping CATV soft cable for decades. I
started doing it with RG-11 in the late 70's and RG-6 a bit later and have
never had a problem from 160M to 70cm and running up to 1500W (1200W on 75
with RG-6 to a sloper). The clad center conductor is soldered.

That
> cable is almost certain to be oversized for RG59 reducers, so you will
> likely need somewhat non-standard termination if you're going to
> solder.

As I said earlier try a RG-8X/LMR-240 connector. With the various shielding
combinations available some trimming may be required.

 > I'm a solder guy, so what I do is strip enough of the outer
> jacket to fit into the reducer, put it together and solder it as if it
> were RG59, and then do more serious taping and waterproofing than I
> otherwise might.

Proper preparation and sealing goes for any cable.

> If you are going to crimp, it is critical that both the connector and
> the crimp tool match the exact cable type that you are using.

Not necessarily. If the cable is slightly oversize a good crimp can be had
by not compressing the ferrule too far.

Carl
KM1H