Topband: Beverage Transformer?

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Oct 10 06:38:40 PDT 2011

Ive been using BN73-202 cores on 2 wire reversible Beverages in the 500-900'
range. They work fine down to 150KHz with surprisingly good directivity on
the LF BC stations as well as NDB's

They are wound as isolated winding transformers with Teflon sleeving to
minimize interwinding C which has resulted in excellent FB. I would think
that similar attention to detail would help a single wire unidirectional
Beverage also.

Turns calculations were done with 500KHz and performance is good thru 30M.
Even 20 shows directivity which is surprising considering the many
wavelengths of wire but its lossy, likely not helped by a very poor 250 Ohm
RF ground resistance on this hilltop rock pile.

Carl
KM1H