Topband: PL 259 for RG6

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Oct 11 11:50:38 PDT 2011

[snip]
> Having said that, I would like to find a really, REALLY good quality
> **chassis mount** F-connector. I am not happy with most of the ones
I've
> bought. I don't care if it's expensive, I just want quality. I suppose
> it's
> too much to ask for a mil-spec F-connector. :-)

I have had a similar complaint with such connectors. I especially have a
problem with the typical poor-quality threads and nuts that break when
tightened. I have found two solutions:

1 - The solder-to-the-board type connectors that have a vertical
(perpendicular to the board) mounting with a center conductor and four
"feet" at the corners of a square mounting flange seem to be of
significantly higher quality, IME, than most of the other F connectors.
You can use them as a chassis-mount connector by using a nut on the
front of the panel and soldering to one of the "feet" on the back for
your ground connection. The connectors are threaded all the way to the
base of the flange so this mounting arrangement works.

2 - The newer "high-frequency" F connectors (which typically have a blue
dielectric insert instead of the usual clear one) are *much* higher
quality, but they're also more expensive and less common. I've seen them
from some flea market vendors and they can be ordered from commercial
CATV and satellite supply houses. I'm not sure what their top-end
frequency spec is, but I think it is 2GHz. They are commonly used for
satellite systems where the IF runs from the several hundred MHz up to
around 1.75GHz+. If you look at any of the newer DirecTV-type satellite
equipment you'll see they are using these connectors. These connectors
still mate with the more traditional F connectors, but they have higher
quality threads and center terminals -- presumably they use a better
dielectric as well.

  -Bill