Topband: high take-off angle

Arthur Delibert radio75a3 at msn.com
Sun Oct 16 13:19:20 PDT 2011

In QST for September 1995, Brian Beezley, K6STI, had an article titled "A Receiving Antenna That Rejects Local Noise" and Ed Andress had a companion article, "A K6STI Low-Noise Receiving Antenna for 80 and 160 Meters."  This antenna, a horizontal square with a twist in the middle, has a very high-angle pattern.  It rejects local noise by having barely any of its pattern at low angles.

Here's what Andress said: "I compared my DX reception with the local 160-meter Big Guns daily and found that I could copy all the signals they heard, but for a shorter time during the window."  In a sidebar, Keith Fowler, W6BCQ, reported that with the horizontal square, he was able to work C21/ZL1AMO; on his other antennas, he could hear only power-line noise.  My experience with this antenna, before I was licensed, was that I could hear audio from some Indonesian regional broadcasters that were only weak hetrodynes on other "low-noise" antennas.

Beezley himself acknowledged that if you've got the space for it and there isn't a strong noise source right off the end, a long Beverage is a better choice.  And since July 2000, when K6SE wrote about flags and pennants, most people looking for a good low-band receiving antenna that will fit on limited real estate have used flags and pennants, and I think Beezley's antenna has been largely forgotten.  But his antenna clearly demonstrated that some good DX is possible with antennas that offer only a high-angle pattern.

--Art Delibert, KB3FJO