Topband: high take-off angle

Jan Erik Holm sm2ekm at bdtv.se
Sun Oct 16 21:49:50 PDT 2011

Yes well I might explain my statement a little. First of all I
have read all the books by ON4UN and also this by NM7M together
with lots of other writeups etc etc. I am NOT saying that thats
not true. What I´m saying is at my northerly latitude I can just
not see any useful high angle and I´m talking about stuff further
away then 150 miles, this holds true for both 80 and 160m. I do
have great experience in 80m DX-ing and also 160m but more experience
on 80m so far. For example I´m quite sure I´m the one in Europe
that has made the most "long path" QSO´s into the USA on 80m and
this goes back into the late 1960´ties. I have tried a zillion
RX antennas on 80 and 160 and the clear conclusion is that I
have to get the wave angle below 25 degrees or even much below.
For example, this means that Beverage antennas has to be made
longer than most people think, IMO at my latitude longer then
3-4 wl or even much longer then they really start to performe.
In my book 25 degrees or lower is low angle by the way.
The further down towards the equator one gets it seems like there
is more and more high angle that can be used but not this far
north as 67 degrees latitude.
I think it has to do with the D-layer. At this latitude with
geomagnetic activity most every day the D-layer will be a player
in the equation most of the time and you simply do not see that
further down towards the equator. So the high angle stuff that
"might" have been useful will get absorbed in the D-layer and
what you need to do is sneak in and out below the D-layer.
I better stop before it gets booring!

73 Jim SM2EKM