Topband: Ground loss query (re inverted L, antenna radiation resistance, & Jerry Sevick)

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 19 19:27:47 PDT 2011

This IS true for some hams, because their counterpoise situation is quite
lossy. It would definitely not be true over a commercial dense radial system
that was in good repair.  It's very easy to measure by starting with a dense
radial system and removing radials between subsequent measurements.  I've
done some of that myself.

It becomes critical for a ham if their circumstances will not allow an
efficient radial system.  Then the name of the game becomes doing anything
that will reduce ground losses, which would include somehow avoiding a high
current feed when the ground/counterpoise connection is unavoidably lossy.

The issue in the commercial controversy referred to, for me at least, would
be accurately quantifying the "quality" of a radial system to come up with a
sufficiently questionable field.  How do you do that?

73, Guy.