Topband: bottom fed antenna causing broad band signal?

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 25 09:31:55 PDT 2011

Among the possibilities, and the first you should rule out, is that
since his improvement may have really improved his signal strength at
your place, and since coils are not at all a common culprit for such
things, you should go over your own setup with a fine tooth comb,
including seeing if the bandwidth diminishes if you insert an
attenuator in your RX path. The medical phrase is to carefully rule
out a pox in your own house.

Doing CW using SSB setups is a candidate for wide signals always
unless done just right, the same as PSK31 audio levels, etc.

I went through a period where an improvement in my 160 antenna started
shutting down my neighbor's AND MY Uverse gateways. That was in spite
of the 450 feet from the antenna to either of our houses. That was
quite the deal to get into repair, but a prime example where a
"smallish" improvement in radiated signal has a disproportionately bad
effect at a distance.