Topband: Top Band activity

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 16:59:59 PDT 2012

Hi Bob,

All those features and wonders of propagation are fascinating. I'm
presently making a kettle of bean n ham soup. Watching it simmer makes
me think of how our propagation shifts and bubbles and boils.

I was on this morning and heard a few stations calling CQ DX but
reception wasn't as good as yesterday even though the QRN seemed a
little lower. I parked the Johnson Ranger just under 1810 and tried
calling a little myself, with no luck (general CQ - NOT CQ DX). Somebody
is going to point out that the DX can't transmit there and I already
know that. There were two stations calling for DX a little further UP
the band. I did NOT transmit on top of any DX. Even running the filters
wide open at about 6 kHz I tuned the RX to the lower band edge and up to
around 1825 listening for possible replies. Further up the band I heard
the regulars on AM and SSB. They were all a little weaker this morning
than yesterday, too. I was in front of the radio from just after 10:00Z
to about 10:45Z when it was getting light here. I'll try it again
tomorrow. The Ranger is working nicely on 80, too, so I'll be warming
the clouds there as well.

73,

Bill  KU8H