Topband: Small loop Performance

steve.root at culligan4water.com steve.root at culligan4water.com
Wed Apr 11 17:57:01 PDT 2012

A lot of us are of course interested in the results of these experiments because the loop is small enough to fit into a typical suburban or urban lot. In evaluating the performance of these antennas it is interesting to hear about one's ability to null out a local Am broadcast station. However that doesn't tell the whole story. How well does it hear pitifully weak DX stations? I've worked with a couple of loops based on N6RK's designs, and while they have deep nulls and work as expectred they also don't seem to produce any usable RF from DX stations. I can hear stateside signals with it but rarely anything weaker. A practical receiving antenna, at least for those of us living in the depths of the Black Hole, has to capture enough RF to produce some audio in the headphones.

73 Steve K0SR