Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance

W2PM w2pm at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 07:00:04 PDT 2012

Don. No doubt mag loop is far less sensitive to interaction than the flag or pennants where metal objects within 50 ft will certainly distort the pattern. Mostly the foward lobe but modelling and observation shows the fwd lobe is broad anyway.

I have heard a notable 160 dx ER say the height of a mag loop can frantically affect its ability to reduce local noise however.  He claimed having the bottom of the ring 10 ft up is optimal but also suspected that's purely a condition of the local noise character. I can tell you strong power line crud and be very spotty too eminating more strongly from certain spots on the span than others. Since I use a MFJ nuller as well found sense antenna location critical to success.  Have also used a magnetic loop as the noise sense antenna quite well broadside the loop to the noise. Provides a far more table noise source and thus makes nuller more effective and easier to tune.

Btw I use a SW (VK) facing half flag hidden in a tree Which happens to have its rear null direct to nasty power line noise 500 ft away and it's great. I only use 6db or ago of preamp on it tho. Beyond that it could pickup too much local noise in my setting.

73

Sent from my iPhone