Topband: Home Depot LED bulb interference.

Wayne Mills n7ng at bresnan.net
Fri Apr 27 10:10:19 PDT 2012

I had previously mentioned that I have three LED lamps and hadn't noticed
any noise. Looking (listening) more closely, I have noticed noise on two of
them -- the Sylvania lamps purchased from Lowes. One of them is pretty bad.

I also mentioned that the bulbs were very hot, too hot to handle. Of course,
that isn't a direct indication of heat, but temperature. I will likely
purchase an AC wattmeter, but if someone has one just plug a fixture with an
LED lamp installed and see what it requires. If it's in line with the specs,
fine. With the temperature I observed on the surface of the lamp, there must
be considerable infrared radiation. Good for heating the house here 9 months
of the year -- no inefficiency at all.

I also note that the experiment in the You Tube video is measuring noise on
the mains line. What about radiated noise? Since the sample is referenced to
ground, it might be representative of any radiation. The noise that I
observed was affected by my hand in the vicinity of the lamp, surely
radiation. Not good.

Wayne, N7NG
Jackson, Wyoming