Topband: Vertical radiator + FCP as a dipole

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 1 15:59:11 PDT 2012

The "FCP" only refers to the folded part, it's not a complete antenna.
 The pattern depends on what you do with the wire attached to the FCP.
 If it's an L instead of a straight dipole, you will get more high
angle radiation.

FCP is terrible on the ground.  Though lower heights will work with
increasing loss, 8 feet and up is recommended. I know a few who
mounted it on the back yard wooden fence which kept it at six feet up.
The fence in the rain had a dielectric effect.  But it was something
that he could actually get away with, so he didn't care. The back
fence was 70 feet long across the back. The guy's lot was 75 x 115.

Calling it a dipole with one end woven horizontal is apt. The folds in
the "weave" are designed to minimize radiation from the weave, and so
force all the radiation from the other end so far as is possible, and
cancel fields as much as possible underneath to keep induced current
in the dirt from the folded end as low as possible. An inverted L over
an FCP is a vertical dipole with one end folded, and the other with a
90 degree bend in it.

For those of you in some of the prior discussions, tell me if the
folded end of the dipole is a counterpoise by your definition. If not,
what do you call it.

What exactly makes it a counterpoise instead of just a folded end to a dipole.

73, Guy