Topband: Antennas

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Aug 3 08:29:33 PDT 2012

Price,  The Military and U.S. Embassies use T2FD type of antennas all
over their deployment perhaps due to the fact that they do work as long
as you have plenty of horsepower to feed them with.  I think the
requirement of frequency agility for their requirement outweighs the
inherent inefficiency.  If you don't mind putting a "radiating dummy
load" in the air then perhaps it is not such a bad idea.  The design is
still part of the military nomenclature with an ANN number and their is
one on the VI national Guard building a few blocks from my office.  It
is hooked to a 10KW Harris 2-30 Mhz box to connect to FEMA Region 2 on a
multitude of  frequencies driving by the propagation at the moment.  The
T2FD mil spec version is supposed to be rugged enough to work through
and survive a Cat 4 hurricane. None of my antennas nor towers could make
that claim.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ