Topband: Lazy question concerning toroidal inductors

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Aug 6 08:57:48 PDT 2012

Not enough information.  How many turns?  How much current
through inductor?  What core size?  What material?  Do you
already have a particular core you want to design around?
What Q do you need from the standpoint of antenna efficiency?
Is Q only a thermal issue?

As a VERY general rule, Q is somewhat higher with more turns, so you
would want to just use smaller wire and increase the number
of turns.  Books will not tell you this fact.  It's a second
order effect having to do with leakage inductance.
You should confirm it in your case by making comparative Q measurements.

Rick N6RK