Topband: Image on 160M

Wayne Willenberg wewill747 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 07:36:27 PDT 2012

Hello,

As I am slowing working my way into 160M, I have been listening to my
new reversible 480ft Beverage antenna.

I live in a rural area.  However, there is one small town about 5 miles
from me.  The only really strong BC station near me is a 500W (day time)
(not 5,000W) station at 1.490MHz. It is about 7 miles away.  As I tuned
through the 160M band I found an image of that station at 1.915MHz.  With
the Beverage, in the *NE position* the image reads -117dBm and if I switch
to AM mode, I can understand the broadcast. I don't see any other signals
on the 160M band.

Is it normal to find images like this?

B/T/W, when I switch to the *SW position* (the direction of the transmitter
and the small town), the signal power rises to -110dBm, but the noise floor
also goes up.  Is it reasonable to assume the additional noise is probably
coming from the small town?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me slowly build a 160M station.

73, Wayne KK6BT