Topband: VO1HP FCP Inv L and Kitchen Oven

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 30 13:41:10 EDT 2012

When I first installed my 3/8 over FCP here, it was PRE isolation
transformer.  Given the unfortunate 424' length of elevated Wireman #554
"450" ohm window line back to the tractor shack for conversion to 50 ohm
coax into shack, it was very heavily coupled, as explicit modeling would
later reveal.

That degree of common mode current was exceptionally lossy.  For all
practical purposes, well over half my power was going to a 160 meter endfed
3/4 wave wire 8 feet above ground more or less grounded at the far end.

If you have that much loss pre-conversion, you have a certain lowered field
strength from the antenna.  When you fix the loss the field strength is
going to jump up, just the same as if you raised power.  Anything that was
close to interference, but not yet, may now be interfered with.  As I found
out when the massive common mode loss in my system was solved.  I now blew
away both my and my neighbor's AT&T Uverse gateway boxes with anything over
400 watts out from the amp.  Various local experiments proved that it was
just the new higher field strength from the antenna and nothing else.

Previously 1.5 kW to the feedline did not even cause pixelation that we
were aware of, and afterwards over 400 watts would cause the gateway to
shut down.

As AT&T would verify, the remainder of the problem was entirely an issue
with AT&T that was well known, and they had fixes for.

Frank, if I remember correctly, you previously had short and irregular 160m
radials in a relatively thin poor soil layer over bedrock.  That might as
well have been an attenuator in your feedline, which you have now removed.
 And, unlike my house, your antenna is very close to the house.

I hope you have as good luck on other issues that may pop up as with your
stove.

I am not sure I have anything useful to add about the insulators.  The
stuff that is used for electric fence support in the US obviously has the
voltage rating.  The complaints about them I have heard are entirely
mechanical in nature.

73, and keep working 'em!

Guy K2AV