Topband: 160m from 5X

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Aug 30 14:10:48 EDT 2012

Hi Nick,

I was lucky to work Paul, 5X4F, during the late 1990s but there
are many unmet needs for 5X on 160 meters. You will be very highly sought after.

Verticals are consistently the most effective transmitting antennas for 160 meter DXing.  Typically vertical antennas for 160 meters present two difficulties:
  - a tall enough vertical radiator, and
  - an efficient enough radial system

50 feet is sufficient vertical height for a reasonable efficient 160 meter vertical antenna.  The best way to load it is with loading wires attached to the top of the vertical, extending at about a 45 degree angle down to an insulator almost at ground level.  Two or three loading wires will be adequate.  You can then use an inductor at the base to load the vertical to provide a reasonable VSWR at 1830 kHz.

An reasonably efficient radial system presents many practical difficulties in the local situation you described.  If you can use at least a few radials laid on the ground, probably the best advice is to use at least 8 to 12 radials each long as you can make them.  If you cannot use radials laid on the ground, you could use at least two (ideally more) elevated radials loaded with inductors or the relatively new Folded Counterpoise (FCP);bhowever, the FCP requires a special antenna matching circuit.

Good luck on Top Band!

73
Frank
W3LPL