Topband: Window ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Aug 30 17:25:29 EDT 2012

> The last information I had was this 160 meter DX window was no longer in
> use as a window by a international agreement of amateurs. It previously
> restricted North Americans from calling CQ DX in it, while allowing other
> countries to do so. I was one of the Americans calling CQ DX run out of
> the window years ago !     Has the window changed again ?

The old window is, and has been, obsolete except for some contest rules.

I think, for the benefit of smaller stations far from the east coast, it
should have remained. The people making the decision felt it was not
necessary.

There are some IARU suggestions and other things, but the old 1830-35
DX-only window is long gone.

I try to stay above 1835 or below 25 as much as possible, because I think
removing that clear area was a bad idea for stations distant from the coast,
who have to listen through the NE wall.