Topband: DX WINDOW

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 13:11:50 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 10:20 -0500, Eddy Swynar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Obviously this "typo" was a test meant to see if anyone was awake yet...! Hi Hi
>
> Of course I MEANT to say 1830- to 1835-KHz---but fat fingers (and a skinny mind) got in the way.
>
> Thanks go to Bert for keeping things on an even keel here...
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Hi Eddy,

One problem I have is identifying a DX window. I have read several
different versions and if I live by all of them I will be transmitting
on 80 meters (evil grin). I also wouldn't promote interfering with any
QSO in progress even if it is just a DX station ('nuther evil grin). So
not having a clear, unanimous agreement on a "DX window" the best I can
do is listen (more than 2 seconds) for signs of life and then inquiring
before hollering. Even if I can't hear the DX I know what a pile sounds
like - a sure clue that DX is somewhere nearby.

Once upon a time an inquiry of whether the frequency is in use was two
quick dits. If a "c" came back it's in use. Much quicker than "QRL?"
followed by expletives and curses and name calling. I used that and
still do. If no "c" then I go to "QRL?" All of that preceded by some
listening time. If somebody IS using the frequency and can't reply
sometime during all of that.. well.. I'm going for it. That's my best
offer.

The Ranger needs some attention - again. QRT on 160 for the moment. Hope
to be up before the Stew.

73,

Bill  KU8H