Topband: Beverages 2 basic questions

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Sun Dec 2 10:54:15 EST 2012

Mike, Im pretty sure a group buy would convince the manufacturer to sell
them. Supposedly an Ebay seller has an "exclusive" but since our use is non
competitive to his SWL and cave dweller ham customers it could be
negotiated.

The large diameter steel ones work well but rust away in 15-18 months in
this area of acid rain and salt water fogs. Using spray cans of Rustoleum,
etc would be time consuming and likely needing periodic touchups. Plus the
steel further slows down the incoming wave so it might not be possible to
build an effective 1 wavelength + version. I had 5 stretched over about 175'
and calculated a Vp of .57 but it sure worked gangbusters for those LP
sunset signals over Africa. For many I was the only US station working them
and the almost total lack of even EU QRM was a huge advantage. Switching to
a 750' regular Beverage pointing right down the Med heard only a EU din;
I'll let you estimate the F/S rejection of the Slinky.

Using a high frequency local BCB station right off the back the null was at
1250-1300 Ohms using a 2K pot and replaced with 3 x 3900 Ohm 2W carbon
resistors. Id guesstimate the general F/B to be over 20dB on 160. My feeling
is that performance could not be duplicated by various other loading
methods. If somebody wants to make real world comparisons it might be
beneficial.

Carl
KM1H