Topband: FCC PROPOSES TO RESTORE 1900-2000 KHZ TO PRIMARY STATUS

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:35:23 EST 2012

In ET Docket 12-338 the FCC proposes to raise the secondary amateur service allocation in the 1900-2000 kHz band segment to primary status, providing amateur radio operators nearly exclusive use of the band. At present, amateur use of the top half of the band is on a secondary basis, shared with Radiolocation beacons that have priority over amateurs on any shared frequency.

With the avilability of the GPS satellite system for civilian use, radiolocation beacons have virtually disappeared from the 1700-1800 kHz and 1900-2000 kHz bands, but our "secondary" status on 1900-2000 remains, leaving us vulnerable to the whims of Radiolocation interests in the event that they, for whatever reason, might decide to once again operate beacons in our band.

The FCC is now accepting comments from interested parties. I would strongly encourage EVERYONE to file comments of your own in support of this proposal. Comments already submitted on all proposals in the docket may be viewed at  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=12-338

Rulemaking proposal ET-Docket 12-338 may be viewed in its entirety at  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6017137896  For specifics on the 160m proposal, scroll down to page 11, beginning at paragraph 20.

ET-Docket 12-338 may be viewed also at http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022061247 or downloaded in PDF form at http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db1119/FCC-12-140A1.pdf

For information on the FCC's Electronic Comment Filing System go to  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/

For detailed instructions on how to file comments using ECFS, go to  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/userManual/ecfsmanual.jsp

The first submitted comment addressing 160m reallocation may be viewed at  http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6017141101

The International Telecommunications Union frequency allocation chart may be viewed at  http://www.kloth.net/radio/freq-itu.php