Topband: one-way propagation

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 18:35:16 EST 2012

To expand a little on Carl's explanation, the ionosphere is not as isotropy as we commonly imagine - in that it is not a nice smooth balloon shaped surface to bounce a signal off of.  Instead, there are varying degrees of irregularity, not unlike a sandy desert where the wind moves the landscape around and creates moving peaks and valleys.  So imagine the ionosphere in this condition when a signal from one direction has a nice reflection down to the receiver, but in the other direction, it is reflected at a different angle and lands somewhere else.

Jim, KR9U