Topband: one-way propagation

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Dec 3 14:05:05 EST 2012

Having operated in Western and Central Europe a few times over the years on
160-40M from average to better stations Ive observed something else.

With the typical 5-7 hour time difference the East Coast hears EU well
before sunset in the winter and its hard to impossible to attract a QSO.
This is the prime evening time in EU where activity is highest adding to the
across the band din making weak signals poor copy. Also there is band
sharing with commercial and other stations that drops down considerably as
the evening progresses. Some of those signals are wide with TX generated
noise.

As it approaches EU bed time the consumer noise generators are shut off,
more hams are in bed and the bands "seem" to open to NA.

A good part of EU is also under the auroral curtain at times which adds to
the band noise and signal attenuation.

Whatever real or imagined propagation anomalies exist just add to the
problem.

The only cures I know of are running a remote TX a lot closer to EU; or a
tube with handles and a 10dB+ boost over 1500W such as he who is often
complaining about others comments on here.

Carl
KM1H