Topband: one-way propagation

Carl Clawson clawsoncw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:11:26 EST 2012

I'm weighing in with Tom here. The reciprocity theorem in electromagnetism
is well known, and it shows that no amount of focusing, defocusing,
scattering, refraction, or reflection will by themselves cause one way
propagation. If you take away the earth's magnetic field and its attendant
Faraday rotation, I do not see any other reason for one-way propagation if
noise levels at both ends of the path are equal.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(electromagnetism)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect#Faraday_rotation_in_the_ionosphere