Topband: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION

wa3mej at comcast.net wa3mej at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 17:50:12 EST 2012

With the prospect of downsizing and moving into senior housing in the future I am starting to look at vertical antennas that will allow me to continue this wonderful hobby.  I have heard "some" good things about the GAP series of antennas but the company says they do not need radials on most of them and that worries me.  Over the years I have become very skeptical about claims and the other BS put out by most companies ( maybe it is a function of age I dunno) so I wonder if these antennas really work.  The two antennas that I am interested are the Voyager DX for 160/80/40  and the Eagle DX for the rest of the bands.

So my question is.... does anyone have actual experience with these antennas (especially the voyager) as compared to other antennas for a specific frequency.  Now guys .. I know you cant really compare a 6 element beam to a vertical of this kind but I am talking about a comparison that is realistic.. like how does it hear, tune, match & get out compared to something like another vertical or a dipole up some reasonable distance.

I sure hope this has not opend another can of worms.. some how I seem to do that .. private emails are ok..especially it the topic gets out of hand and we get a large volume of comments (Tree please dont shoot me before Christmas my wife will miss me.)

Jim WA3MEJ

Long Live Seal Team VI

http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm